About the Advising Process

Below you will find FAQ’s about the advising process, registration process and other course and academic issues. Students may also print and read the Equine Science and Management Advising Syllabus

Advising Process

How do I find out who my advisor is? 

All Equine and Science Management students are assigned an academic advisor during their advising conference and/or once they have officially switched majors. A list of the equine science and management advisors can be found here. You can find out who your academic advisor is on myUK

What is an advising hold? 

An advising hold is a registration block that is placed on a student’s record each semester. In order to register, the hold must be removed.  The hold is only lifted once you have met with your advisor to discuss your classes for the upcoming semester.

How do I make an advising appointment? 

Advising appointments are typically scheduled using myUK. Log on to myUK, click on myInfo, click on myAppointments, choose your assigned advisor and then schedule an appointment. If your advisor is not listed, you’ll need to contact him or her directly via email or phone.

How do I find out what classes I need to take next?

It is highly recommended that students access APEX Degree Audit before attending an advising meeting to see what courses they still need to take to fulfill their degree requirements. This program is accessible through the myUK portal by clicking on the APEX tab. Students may run their own audit report and/or may view audits previously run by their advisor.


Registration Process

How do I register?

In order to register, the advisor hold must be removed and this is only done after the student has met with his or her academic advisor. All registration occurs through myUK.

When do I register? 

New students, freshman and transfers, register for the first time during advising conferences. Current students register during priority registration. Priority registration occurs every semester to register for classes for the upcoming semester. The specific time and date in which you register is determined by the total number of earned credit hours. A schedule of the registration windows can be found in the schedule book or you can look and see when your registration window will open via myUK.

What is a wait list? 

Some classes offer students the opportunity to place themselves on a list which automatically enrolls students in a closed class only if a seat in the class becomes available. 

What are the deadlines for adding or dropping a class?

Specific dates for these deadlines change each semester. The last day to add a class is generally within the first week of classes. There are two DROP deadlines. The first deadline results in a class not appearing on your transcript, while the second drop deadline will result in a W appearing on your transcript. A “W” does not figure into your GPA, but you should always consult with your academic advisor prior to dropping a class. Also, consult the academic calendar in the current schedule book for the exact add and drop dates.

How can I withdraw from UK?

You may cancel your registration before the first day of class by using myUK. To completely withdraw from UK once classes have started, you must contact the Registrar’s Office. Students are only allowed to withdraw up to a certain date.

What are the differences between being a fulltime and part-time student? 

A fulltime student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours. Fulltime students may have some benefits not available to part-time students. Financial aid, insurance and other items could be affected by the number of enrolled credit hours.


Classes, GPA, Probation and Academic Issues

How do I calculate my GPA?

Grades are assigned a numerical value A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, E=0 which is multiplied by the number of credit hours of the course to calculate quality points. Your grade point average is calculated by adding the number of quality points and dividing it by the number of quality hours taken that semester.

Can I repeat a course to improve my grade?

Yes. Students have the option to repeat up to three courses in which they received a B, C, D, or E. Only the grade, credit hours and quality points from the second completion will be used in calculating the GPA, provided the student has made a specific request. The student must be enrolled at the time the repeat option form is filed.

What does academic probation mean?

You are placed on probation if your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 or if you have two consecutive semester GPAs below 2.0. If you achieve a 2.0 or better in the next semester and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater, you will be removed from probation. However, if you do not achieve a 2.0 or greater during this time or have three consecutive terms with your cumulative GPA remaining below a 2.0, you will be “subject to suspension.”

What if I get suspended from UK?

You will be subject to suspension from UK if 1) You have three consecutive UK terms in which your cumulative GPA remains below 2.0; 2) You fail to earn a 2.0 term GPA for any term while on probation; or 3) Your GPA is below 0.6 after your first term, if the semester’s GPA is based on at least 9 hours of grades. If you are suspended, you must remain out of UK for at least a semester and summer before applying for reinstatement.

What does it mean to take a course pass/fail?

Students above the freshman level and not on academic probation may select a maximum of four elective courses, with certain restrictions, to be taken on a Pass/Fail basis. Credit hours successfully completed under this option will count towards graduation but will not be used in calculating grade-point standing. Courses offered only on a Pass-Fail basis shall not be included in the maximum number of elective courses which a student may take under these provisions.

How do I know what I am classified as?

Students with less than 30 completed credit hours are freshman, sophomores upon completion of 30 credit hours, juniors upon completion of 60 credit hours and seniors upon completion of 90 credit hours.

For additional information please visit the UK Ag Academic Programs website at

Contact Information

N212 Ag Science Building North Lexington, KY 40546-0091

+1 (859) 257-2226